The Church of Battambang which we ride to every day. The Catholic cathedral in Battambang City was built in 1881. When the Kingdom of Cambodia was all destroyed by war with the Thai, the Catholic communities almost disappeared. In 1850 the Holy See established the Apostolic Vicariate of Phnom Penh and Battambang. In 1975 the church was once again under Pol Pot Khmer Rouge regime, completely destroyed everything and killed the Cambodian priests and all religious, except the handful of sisters who happened to be outside of the country. A great number of Cambodian Catholics lost their lives during the years of the genocide. All but three churches were completely destroyed. In 1990 the Catholic communities were given permission to worship freely in Cambodia. Battambang in 2000 began a new church. Concerted efforts of all the faithful contributed to building the church for the faithful including the disabled, the poor, women and the sick.
This is a very strong sign of building the kingdom of God.